Many people like that clean fresh feeling they get after rinsing with mouthwash. However, some rinses on the market can cause acid erosion, tooth sensitivity and even increased tooth staining. Our goal is to educate our patients so that they can choose the best rinse for their needs.
So… which mouth rinse is best?
It is best to choose a mouth wash that has:
- Non acidic/neutral pH > 7.0 (acidity can cause erosion of enamel and increase risk of tooth sensitivity and cavities)
- Helps reduce plaque bacteria
- Alcohol free (alcohol can cause dry mouth and has carcinogenic effects to soft tissues)
- Long lasting, fresh breath
Mouth rinses containing CPC (cetylpyridinium chloride) such as Crest Pro-Health can cause black/brown stains to develop on your teeth.
Recommended product: SmartMouth
- Does not contain alcohol
- Neutral pH (7.11)
- Kills bacteria and gives up to 12 hours of fresh breath (yes, we’ve tried it and it does work!)